Pages

Monday 8 February 2016

Happy Lunar New Year

The fresh flower market at Victoria Park in Hong Kong Island is one of the most famous events held during the Lunar New Year celebrations. There are over 400 stalls in this one park, selling fresh flowers, toys, paper windmills, and traditional Chinese food and treats.

I haven't been there since my parents took me as a kid. So I was excited to relive the experience again this year. But I don't think I was quite ready for the crowds. There were moments when I felt I was literally being swept away by the crowds down an aisle even though I was just trying to get over to a stall. Many brave parents even brought babies in carriers on their backs.

I loved see the variety of flowers, so many beautiful colors and even scents. My favourite to look at were the funny shaped New Year Fruits and also surprisingly fragrant were the peach blossoms. The almost neon colors of some Chrysanthemum and pussy willows. By walking around a bit, you could find some good deals on flowers. A single potted orchid ranged from 50-100 HKD. While a small bundle of peach blooms were about 80 HKD.


Aside from the beautiful flowers, many local high schools and colleges sold their own DIY creations like these "煎釀三寶" (aka HK street foods)

To me, the only downside of the event was the politicizing of this cultural celebration. It felt really out of place that political parties had booths at the Lunar New Year Fair. While families were wandering around pick up fresh flowers and enjoying the holiday, there were politicians shouting their slogans and messages.

Regardless of the crowds and chaos, it was still nice to experience the traditional festivities in Hong Kong. While there's still a celebratory mood in Toronto, the overall excitement and the number of things to see just isn't the same.

Happy Lunar New Year Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment