Pages

Sunday 14 February 2016

Getting creative at PMQ

It's become somewhat of a tradition for CharK and I to spend Valentine's Day at PMQ. Last year I wrote about enjoying both the combination of Chinese New Year festivities and Valentine's Day workshops. This year, there were many free activities like rose sculpting and mural painting to celebrate the day. I don't really enjoy doing crafts myself, but I do appreciate seeing art installations.

Among them was the "Hong Kong on Steps", an art project by artists from Hong Kong Taiwan, Japan, South Korea and France where they paint various scenes on the steps of PMQ. I was really impressed by the visualization ability of these artists. My favourite ones were the scene of HK's iconic Victoria Harbour and the Coy fish.

Makes walking up all those flights of stairs worth the effort (Photo: Chark)

Love how this captures the motion of the fish (Photo: CharK)

But my favourite display was the "Play Me I'm yours" which consist of 16 pianos designed by local artists featuring distinctive elements of Hong Kong. The piano that stood out to me most was the "Design Hawker Stall" which features a piano painted in green on one side, and a replica of a food stall on the other side. I can't say that I have fond memories of road side stalls since we really didn't have these in Toronto. But I can see they are still an important part of HK's culture even today.

Love the attention to details on this one (Photo: CharK)
I was really impressed by the collaborative nature of the art mural that was part of the Valentine's Day activities. Artists initially outlined the overall images, then people could take their turn at using these large acrylic pushes to colour in the drawing. Each person would paint with a single colour brush and the staff overseeing the activity would clean up and fill in the other spots.  

This kind of reminds of me the scene from lady and the tramp where they share a strand of spaghetti (Photo: Chark)
 Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

1 comment: