Pages

Sunday 17 August 2014

Does Chinatown represent Chinese?

Hong Kong's aboriginal people originated from Southern China and are effectively Chinese. So unlike other North American or European cities, there really isn't a "Chinatown" in Hong Kong.

It wasn't until my trip to Portland that I realized how this can influence one's cultural identity. The Chinese population in Portland is pretty small, only about (10,000 or 1.8%). It seems that in places with a small Chinese population (or any ethnicity), only a few cultural aspects become representative of that race. For example: Chinese food is choy suey. But in reality, Chinese food is composed of specialties from regions across China (e.g. Szechuan, Shanghai, Canton, etc.).

The sign reads from right to left and the characters translates to: Portland Chinatown (Photo: CharK)
 
Again from right to left: the characters are: four-oceans-one-family (aka  everyone's family) (Photo: CharK)


Surprised to see a Chinese restaurant having to attract customers with liquor (Photo: CharK)

In comparison, Toronto has a large Chinese population in Toronto (over 280,000 or ~11%) and there are Chinese communities across the city other than the main Chinatown in the downtown area. Even though there are concentrated populations of Chinese, there are always people of other ethnicities living in the same area. This mingling of races is what I've always identified as the "Canadian" way of life. So having both Chinese and non-Chinese friends, neighbors, and co-workers, I always felt a balance between my Chinese and Canadian identity.

Now working in Hong Kong, I'm surprised to find myself identifying more with my Canadian identity. My views and values differ from local "Hong Kongers". I seem to place less importance on conforming or doing what others "expect" and more on trying to make sure everyone is happy. Canadians are always stereotyped as being overly polite or apologetic--and it's true! In Toronto, I've encountered so many times when someone actually turned around and walked back to open the door for me at a mall or store.

Maybe my views will change as I spend more time here working. But either way, I'll continue to have fun exploring all the different neighbourhoods across in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment