Pages

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Sleeping at a discothèque

I woke up this morning with a bunch of weather warning signals showing up on my HK District Weather app. Apparently the Hong Kong Observatory had issued a Black Rainstorm Warning Signal, among other warnings for thunderstorms, landslides, and flooding early in the morning. I wasn't really surprised with the thunderstorm warning, because I saw flashes of lightning and heard sounds of thunder all throughout the night. The lightning was so frequent overnight that I really felt like I was sleeping inside a discothèque. I never realized just how thin the curtains in my room are-sleeping with an eye mask might be a good idea!

The local tv news station had a pretty coverage of the Black Rainstorm Warning Signal. They sent reporters to a variety of bus stations to interview drivers and commuters to see if they were working and/or knew about the storm. But this one reporter got sent out during the middle of the rain to where a landslide had occured earlier in the morning. The poor guy was soaked at the peak of the rainstorm!

Fortunately, I am in a flat is minimally affected by the storm. And honestly, I was a little excited to see the warning because it means no going into work while the warning is in effect! The general rule here is that you have 2 hours to get into work after the warning has been lifted. The warning ended up being lifted at 9:45 am so I ended up having a nice leisurely breakfast while watching the news.

Surprisingly there wasn't much of a line up at the minibus stop and I made it into work without any incident. So thanks to all the minibus drivers out there today, you guys did a good job on driving up that windy hill of ours!

A photo of the news showing the black rainstorm warning and the aftermath of a local landslide.; water was pouring down the side of a hill at work; enjoying the Hiymalayan tea once I got into work. (Photo CathC)

No comments:

Post a Comment