Pages

Sunday 24 April 2016

In pork we trust

It was a day of eating for my bday this year. For lunch, CharK and I went to a Columbian restaurant in Causeway Bay called 33 cafe y mucho mas. The restaurant was kind of small so the kitchen got backed up with orders even though there were only 3-4 tables. But the waitress was nice, and gave us flan on the house. I loved the caramel sauce on the flan, super smoky. 

We ordered the Arepas Rellenas, grilled corn bread, which was delicious. I loved the creamy avocado salsa and chicken filling. We also ordered a spinach empaneda, which came with a creamy yoghurt sauce. For drinks we got a glass of kumbouche, which was a bit more sour as a juice than I expected. But the apple cider vinegar with organic honey was good.


Later for dinner, CharK and I tried a new "nose-to-tail" restaurant. It's an interesting themed restaurant, overseen by British chef Tom Aikens, which tries to use all parts of the pig in his menu. The deep fried pig ears had an interesting texture, but not a particular taste to it aside from the green caper sauce. The pig trotter on soughdough was good, and the cartilage gave the crunch bread an good contrast. My favourite dish was the ham hock mac and cheese. It was super creamy and tasty.

The menu also had a couple of pig themed drinks too. I got the Pig's Bath which is a cocktail containing: vanilla, aylesbury duck vodka, choya umeshu plum wine, poire liquer, lemon juice. Surprisingly I could taste all the different components and was pretty refreshing in the hot weather. CharK got  the fat pig bacon red ale. This tasted a bit like Guinness with caramelized bacon. Mmmm...what a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment