Pages

Saturday 13 December 2014

Wandering around the HK brand and product expo

Today was my first time attending HK's annual produt and brand expo at Victoria Park in Causeway Bay. The fair gathers around 2 million people (according to an SCMP report) every year as people are eager to get deals on everything from groceries (e.g. shampoo, sauces, and dried seafood) to electronics and cookware. This year on opening day one local firm offered their air conditioning units for 1 HKD for three lucky buyers.

Although the line was constantly moving, I was still in line for about 30 minutes (Photo: CathC)

Aside from deals on groceries, I was most interested in trying some street food. Something I was not expecting was darian flavoured egg tarts. I've tried the Portuguese egg tarts and milk tarts before, but darian was a new flavour. It had a very pungent smell and creamy taste like the filling in darian pancakes. 

I liked the creamy Portuguese tart on the top was better than the smelly darian one (Photo: CathC)

After dessert I moved onto the savory X.O. sauce white raddish cake. Not surprisingly the crowds to these food stall were pretty large. By 3pm the rice noddles were all sold out at one particular food stall. I love the fact that street food is just grab and go, that with all the people there the wait for a snack is minimal.
Braving the crowds for the street food stalls (Photo: CathC)

Spicy white raddish cake (Photo: CathC)

After fueling up with this and other street foods like tofu skewers and green apple ice cream I was ready to walk around to do some shopping. I was impressed by all the shopping carts that people were lugging around to stock up on groceries. Chinese woks were another popular item that people were buying. I ended up getting a variety of Chinese soup mix bags and some Macanese peanut candy, which were about 10~ off. Even though this trip didn't end up being a big haul it was still a fun even to walk around.
Lots of local HK companies and manufacturers set up booths at the event (Photo: CathC)

No comments:

Post a Comment