Pages

Saturday 22 March 2014

Devil's Peak

The scenic hiking trails are something I don't think I'll ever get tired of in HK. I love hiking during the Spring time. The weather is sunny once again, and it's still cool enough to hiking uphill without working up a sweat.
Today CharK and I trekked up the Wilson Trail to Devil's Peak, in Lei Yue Mun. I was surprised at how step the hike up was, but the trail is nicely paved and maintained.

Hiking up this trail was so much more fun than a stair climber workout (Photo: CathC)

The hike up the peak towards Pau Tai Shan (炮台山) was beautiful. It was a pretty clear day, and I could see the from Lohas Park across Junk Bay to Chai Wan (柴灣). I could even see a number of ships, sailboats, and fishing boats out on the waterway too.

Lohas Park on the left and Chai Wan on the right (Photo: CathC)

What a huge aloe plant growing on the side of the peak (Photo: CathC)

On the way down the Peak, I had a pretty good view of Lei Yue Mun and the fishing boats at the Sam Ka Tsuen Ferry Pier. Lei Yue Mun is also another famous area for seafood in HK, but is apparently more expensive too (compared to Sai Kung).


Nice mix of old fishing boats and yachts (Photos: CathC)

The most impressive part of today's hike was the fortress itself. I believe this was one of the strongholds for HK during WWII. The fortress remains decently intact today, but unfortunately there's quite a bit of graffiti on the fortress walls. Aside from us, there was a handful of tourists and other local residents visiting the fortress today. Most were pretty curious as they walked around the site.



Photos: CathC

Today's hike was pretty easy going and a great exercise for the weekend. The trail was about 1 km long and the whole trip only took about an hour (including all the photo taking). I'm pretty happy to be able to cross off another hiking trail crossed off our list.


No comments:

Post a Comment