Pages

Sunday 12 January 2014

Homestyle Korean cooking

I've been craving for some Korean food this week and figured Kimberly Street in Tsim Sha Tsui would be a place for dinner. This area seems like "Little Korea" to me. There are a variety of cuisines from Korean bbq to homestyle cooking and snacks.

After seeing Gamjatang (Korean Pork Bone Soup) on the menu for the Azumma Korean Restaurant, I decided to give this one a try. For some reason, I can't seem to find this dish in most of the Korean restaurants I've come across in HK... 

The wait for Azumma is a bit confusing to figure out at first because it's actually two adjacent restaurant that are jointly run. You get your ticket on one side (with the open kitchen facing the street), and typically get seated in the larger room next door. Watching the chef grill LA Kalbi on the stovetop while I waited for a seat made me even hungrier than ever!

After I sat down, I was disappointed to find the pork bone soup was sold out for the evening (guess I need to come before 8pm next time!). So I ended up ordering the bulgogi and seafood pancake instead. The pancake had large pieces of squid in it and was delicious as well.

Still wanting to have some pork bone soup for later in the week, I went into one of the few Korean grocery stores in the area to pick up some pepper and soybean paste. Aside from the pork, these seem to be the key flavoring ingredients for the soup according to this recipe.

I also love drinking barely tea and picked up some while I was in the store. This solomon seal's tea seemed to work well for me for soothing coughs and/or after eating an oily meal.


I love watching all the different boats and cargo ships sail across Victoria Harbour so I stopped by before dinner. The breezy evening and beautiful sunset made it worth being late to dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment