Pages

Saturday 28 December 2013

A Charlie Brown Cafe

I was pleasantly surprised that The Charlie Brown Cafe serves not only cute looking but also delicious cakes. The cafe is located in the Tsim Sha Tsui area and I've passed by this themed restaurant in the past. But the dim sign facing the road always gave me the impression the cafe was closed. Maybe because it's the holiday weekend, but the cafe today seemed more lit up and busier than normal, so I decided to check out the place.

The Charlie Brown Cafe is on the second floor of the Kok Pah Mansion  (Photo:CharK)

The cafe serves a lot variety of desserts like cake and waffles, to light meals like burgers and onion rings. I couldn't pass up trying this adorable Woodstock sled, greentea chestnut cake. The cake was moist and had actual chunks of chestnut in the filling. The onion rings were crispy but not too oily, and the thousand island dip it came with made the whole thing a tasty snack.

MMmmm...a yummy greentea chestnut cake (Photo:CathC)
I love the detail that is put into their coffee cups/sleeves (Photo: Cath)

Being a themed restaurant, the cafe is thoroughly decorated with the Charlie Brown theme. The walls in the stairwell to the second floor dining area are lined with different Snoopy and Charlie Brown figurines. The dining area also had tons of Charlie Brown Paraphernalia, like different Charlie Brown characters etched into the tables, a bookshelf of comic books, and even a screen playing old episodes of the cartoon. But one detail that is missing from the cafe is the incomplete cast of characters that are featured. Noticeably missing are Pigpen, Violet, and Schroeder.

A fun Charlie Brown Cafe in Tsim Sha Tsui (Photo: CathC)

Cute life-sized figurines in the cafe (Photo: CathC)
I often think of themed restaurants as one hit wonders that I'd simply check off as a place I've tried. But  this fun cafe seems to draw in both tourists and locals alike. The customers consisted of couples, small groups, and of course families with kids. The cafe is actually much bigger than it looks from the outside, and seats 140 (according to online reviews). So I can imagine this would be a great place to host birthday parties, especially since there's even a party room at the back of the cafe.

As far as themed restaurant goes the Charlie Brown Cafe, is one of my favourites. Next time, I think I'll try the mango yogurt cake. This pretty mousse cake looks like it'd be another yummy dessert to enjoy with a cup of Americano.

No comments:

Post a Comment