Pages

Sunday 1 September 2013

Jazz on a rainy afternoon

The local malls are popular venues for concerts during the summer time. I guess it's a good opportunity to showcase new talents and also draw people into one of the numerous malls across the city. Yesterday I stumbled into a mall outside of Tsim Sha Tsui to find shelter from the rain, and was in time to catch the Gimme Live concert series.

There was a "roped off" area in front of the stage and a bunch of concert organizers were walking around the area trying to get people to come into the area and watch the show (rather than from other areas of the mall). I guess because there is a lot of shopping options in the area, this particular mall didn't seem too busy. The concert organizers had a very hard time drawing a crowd for the performances. I must have been asked 3 or 4 times as  I walked around the shops by the stage if I wanted to enter the 'roped off' area to watch the performance. The show didn't start until almost half an hour after it was originally planned for, so I decided not to watch from the roped off area, but at places randomly around the mall instead.

A summer concert at a local mall by Tsim Sha Tsui (Photo: CathC)

Although I wasn't too familiar with the artists there were a good number of fans that were present, as you can see from the pretty signs some of the fans had made. My favourite group was Indica Trio. This jazz trio had a really energetic performance.Plus the saxophone player had some really terrific improvisation. Overall I enjoyed the show, which was a nice surprise as I had just happened to stumble into this mall to avoid the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment